Orcas Center is Hiring!
NOTE: Due to COVID, we have had to cancel many events and are currently pausing our employee search. However, we know that COVID won’t last forever and are still interested in hearing from YOU if you’re interested in the position below:
Provides technical support for all events held at Orcas Center. Oversees all production requirements ensuring all technical needs are met. Recruits and trains support volunteers. This position will primarily be scheduled around performances and events in the Orcas Center facilities.
Reports to: Artistic Director (AD), Jake Perrine
Position: part-time, flex schedule (up to 24 hours a week); $20-$25 DOE
- Collaborates with AD and ED on the scheduling of productions, festivals, concerts, classes, and rehearsals
- Maintains a laser sharp focus on the various OC calendars in order to anticipate conflicts, needs, availability, etc.
- Helps manage resources across multiple events with shifting timelines
- Works with artists/directors as assigned to provide production assistance for lighting, set, sound, and costume designs.
- Attends weekly production meetings to stay current on schedules, needs, purchases
- Recruits and trains volunteer production crew members for various tasks
- When a volunteer or other staff cannot be found for tech operators, PM will step in to assure tech support
- Consistently checks in with all users of the facility to make sure they have what they need
- Attends performances to be available for last minute needs
- Coordinates and attends load-ins and strikes – Inspects theatre with director/artist after final cleanup
- Manages production budgets and all expenditures for supplies within established guidelines, and relays receipts to the bookkeeper for final accounting
- Review touring artists’ technical riders and contracts to prepare for production accordingly
- Oversees sound checks, set dressing/building, technical rehearsals and strike
- Addresses any last minute technical needs
- Maintains organization and tidiness in all back of house areas, including booth, catwalks, audio closet, electrical room, lighting repair, cable hallway, set materials in warehouse, prop area, dressing rooms, costume and scene shops.
- Train all users of these areas what is expected in terms of safely, proper use, cleanliness, storage, etc.
- Maintains inventory and useability of all assets and equipment: materials, tools, lighting and sound inventory, chairs, risers, costumes
- Suggests repairs, upgrades, purchases
- Other duties as assigned
Must have skills:
- Collaborative team player
- Creative arts and crafts eye for detail, synergy, and problem solving
- Basic computer, mobile phone, and networking skills
- Basic carpentry, electrical, handy skills
- An diligent eye for safety and anticipating hazardous scenarios
- Able to lift, carry, maneuver, and organize large objects regularly, and minimal fear of heights
- Consistently on time and consistently delivers what has been promised
- Able to provide support in a friendly, professional, customer-focused manner
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor
- Flexible schedule, occasional long hours
- A hunger to always be learning more!
Ideal candidate would also have experience:
- Arts degree, theatre or event production experience
- Project based team participation experience under strict deadlines
- Creative carpentry, painting, set building experience
- Electrical and electronics skills
- Drafting / rendering skills
- Teaching experience
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of and experience with computers, networking, and technology
- Knowledge of and experience with stage lighting, sound, and video equipment
To Apply: Send a letter of interest and resume to Jake@OrcasCenter.org. Please be sure to mention if you have any experience with the specific skills named above, and in what capacity. Position will remain open until filled.
Orcas Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical ability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or military status. Please note that Orcas Center is a vaccinated workplace.