Due to COVID-19, and Orcas Center’s closure we are in a hiring freeze. You are welcome to apply for the Box Office Manager position, but we likely won’t be filling it until late summer or fall.
Orcas Center is Hiring!
Box Office Manager / Volunteer Coordinator / Data Manager
The Box Office Manager is a pivotal role at Orcas Center. The successful candidate is a champion of the arts, social, dependable, resourceful, flexible, highly self-motivated, and possesses exceptional administrative and problem-solving skills.
This person will oftentimes function as the primary liaison between Orcas Center and the public-at-large, and will ideally have:
- A desire to work with the public.
- An interest in learning and administering Orcas Center’s Arts People (CRM/ticketing) software.
- The ability to work in a team environment while also spearheading programs via self-direction.
- The ability to predict problems and research solutions independently.
- Quality communication skills with the heart of a teacher.
FSLA: Non-Exempt up to 40 hours per week, $18-$22/hr., PTO, Holidays, Medical Benefits
Supervisor: Bethany Marie
Scheduled hours: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays 10AM – 3PM and 1 hour prior to all performances through intermission. Additional hours are flexible up to 40 hours per week for non-Box Office duties.
- Thoroughly learn Arts People CRM/ticketing software becoming the staff expert on all associated functions and aspects.
- Create daily box office reports from Arts-People for Bookkeeper and others as needed.
- Process and market membership packages, donations, and performance sales.
- Train volunteers and staff in the use of the Arts-People software.
- Set-up ticketing for all shows and events.
- Maintain all event files on the network for text and images to be used for web publication and other promotional writing.
- Read all press releases, emails, and marketing to best support knowledgeable communication with patrons.
- Stay familiar with the Google calendar reflecting what is happening in our spaces to best answer patron questions and stay up-to-date. Update calendar as needed.
- Assist in website updates and maintenance as needed.
- Assist with creating and printing performance programs and curtain speeches as needed.
- Assist with newsletter data management – adding members, removing un-subscribers, updating emails.
- Assist in posting events on community boards and social media platforms.
Manage Box Office
- Maintain orderliness of lobby and box office.
- Update and upkeep of box office posters.
- Maintain supplies in box office, including first aid.
- Process and manage incoming emails and voice mail.
- Update box office telephone message as needed.
- Maintain volunteer lists and associated databases.
- Maintain box office systems and hardware including iPads, notebooks and forms.
- Track, upkeep, and manage kitchen and Madrona room rental item inventories such as tables, chairs, tablecloths, napkins, flatware, plates, wine glasses, etc.
- Administer information services, taking lead as primary staff interface with public answering questions about all aspects of Orcas Center Operations.
- Serve as liaison between Orcas Center and the VAC (visual arts committee) for art exhibit intake/outtake and art opening receptions.
- Maintain, order and purchase concession supplies.
- Act as event and receptions coordinator as needed.
- Check theatre regularly re: seating for ushers, wall signage is secure, cylinders, etc.
- Assist with marketing by placing posters around town. Maintain printing of posters so that extras are available.
- Field questions from potential renters of the kitchen and Madrona room.
- Understand and manage listening assist system as well as training protocol for volunteers.
- Provide refreshments and needs for visiting artists and performers in accordance with their contract riders.
Front of House Volunteer Management
- Oversee, train, and coordinate staff and front of house volunteers to: manage box office and serve as house managers, ushers, and concessions and merchandise sellers.
- Staff volunteers for all Orcas Center produced events (concession sellers, ushers, house manager and box office assistance) Staff the same for rentals as required by each contract.
- Ensure box office support for all ticketed events one hour before performance and during intermission, including events held in the Black Box as well as during the Orcas Island Chamber Music Festival.
- Perform box office duties in absence of staff or volunteers.
- Oversee and coordinate work schedule for box office and front of house volunteers and staff.
- Encourage and invigorate volunteer participation through box office contact and outreach.
- Manage Volunteer recognition and rewards.
- Lead volunteer trainings for all front of house positions
Programs used – Familiarity with any of these platforms, or ability to pick up new systems quickly, is desirable:
- Google Suite
- Microsoft Suite
- Adobe Suite (primarily Photoshop and InDesign)
- Constant Contact / Mail Chimp
- Arts People
All interested persons are encouraged to apply by submitting a resume with cover letter indicating areas of experience, references, and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org.